Saturday, February 5, 2011

Hooded Scarf

I would like to thank you all for supporting me while I was learning to write patterns.  Please remember that these are my original free patterns that were written while I was still learning to write them - 
some are better than others and some have been re-written since learning my new skillset

J hook & 4ply ww

Chain 150,
Rows 1-8 - dc across

Hood
Fold in half and measure 9 inches from center in both directions. Mark each st.

Row 1 - dc from marked st to marked st (18 inches)
Rows 2-15 dc across.

Tie off and leave a 2 ft tail to sew the top of the hood.

Finishing
What I do here is to whipstitch from the front of the hood toward the back. About 3 inches from the end I sew it together down on a diagonal angle to the 5th row below to get rid of that square point in the back. Then I lay it out flat and sew the edges to the inside of the hood for a nice and smooth finish.


Copyright 2009~Michele Shirley~All rights reserved.
Items made from this pattern are not to be sold on the internet.

13 comments:

ladyt923 said...

love your pattern...I am looking for a useful pattern that will help get me to the next level...thanks, I think this is it...I'm going to start it 2morrow

Michele Shirley said...

I hope you have fun with it!

rockyabyss said...

Would like to make this one. Can you provide yarn yardage requirements? Wow! try saying THAT really fast.

Michele Shirley said...

I'm sorry - I can't. This was one of my very first patterns before I really knew what needed to be included in a pattern.

I made this several years ago and I gave it as a gift so I can't even weigh it for ounces for you.

I can definitely say it's less than 2 (7 ounce) skeins of Redheart. I honestly cannot remember if it's a one skein project or not. If I make another one I will add the amount to it.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful right now.

Kellee said...

Unclear about something...maybe i'm dense but I don't see the instructions for after dividing up the start of the hood. after marking the 9" and 9" do you finish off and start again at the 9" mark?

Michele Shirley said...

Sorry for the confusion.

Yes, you'll tie off the last row before you make your measurements.

Row 1 - dc from marked st to marked st (18 inches)
Rows 2-15 dc across.

Then you re-attach at the first marker, dc across to the 2nd marker and work 15 rows of dc.

Hope this helps!

scoodie said...

Have you made any new scarf hoodies? Your version of the scoodie is awesome and I'm impressed by your needlework. Looking great, I'm glad to see that people are embracing the hooded scarf trend!

Michele Shirley said...

Thank you.

I can't say it's a version of your product because I've never heard of it before I checked out your profile. It's a cute idea.

Lady VA said...

I truly appreciate you posting this pattern with a seperate hood! My daughter wanted a scoodie in camo (good grief) and this worked up like a dream. I even added fringe to the ends. Thank you for sharing your talent with us.

Michele Shirley said...

I hope she loves it! I've made of these in camo - they come out great!

Unknown said...

I love this! I'm a little confused on your instructions though. I'm new to crochet. I'm stuck on the part where you make the hood. I have now what looks like a scarf with a square/rectangle attached in the middle of it. I'm officially at my I'm stuck, now what point. LOL

Michele Shirley said...

That's what it's supposed to look like. I guess the easiest way to explain finishing it would be to fold it in half and sew the top of the hood together from front to back.

If you don't want a point on the back of the hook you can tuck that in and sew the edges of it down on the inside.

Hope that helps.

Unknown said...

OK, now I get it!! Sometimes the obvious escapes me. LOL The extra 15 rows is the back of the hoodie....Duh!! Now that I understand it, I can make one for my daughter who lives in snow country and loves to snowboard. Thanks for a great pattern!!!