Saturday, February 5, 2011

Diamond Ghan

an Annie's Attic POD
With Pearls & Lace Edging



 
With Distinctive Filet Crochet Edging Border
I would like to thank you all for supporting me while I was learning to write patterns.  Please remember that these are my original free patterns that were written while I was still learning to write them - some are better than others and some have been re-written since learning my new skillset.

Annie's Attic is no longer offering the Pearls and Lace Edging pattern.
I do not have a copy of it.

Even if I did, it would violate copyright law to share it with you.
I am sorry for any inconvenience but there is nothing that I can do.
The only thing I can suggest is to contact Annie's Attic directly.
RoseRed's Diamond Ghan

multiples of 9 + 6

For Scarf - ch33
For Ghans - Follow the sizing information below. Undo extra chains.

Baby Ghan - approx 2 pounds - 3ft wide by 4 ft tall - chain 40 inches across and follow repeats until ghan measures approx 36 inches.

Child Ghan - approx 2 1/2 pounds - 3 1/2 ft wide by 4 3/4 ft tall - chain 44 inches across and follow repeats until ghan measures approx 42 inches.

Full Size Ghan - approx 3 pounds - 4ft wide by 6 ft tall - ch 52 inches across and follow repeats until ghan measure approx 48 inches.


Instructions:

Row 1 - dc in 6th chain from hook, dc next 6 st's, *ch2, skip 2 sts, dc in next 7 sts,* repeat across ch until desired length, (twice for scarf), ch 2, skip 2, dc in last st.

Row 2 - ch2, turn, (counts as 1st dc now and throughout) dc in beg of ch sp, *ch2, skip next dc, dc in next 5 dcs, ch2, dc in center of ch sp* repeat to end, ch2, dc in ch sp, dc in 4th ch of turning ch

Row 3 - ch2, turn, dc in dc, dc in ch sp, *ch2, skip next dc, dc in next 3 dcs, ch2, dc in ch sp, dc in dc, dc in ch sp closest to center dc,* repeat to end, dc in ch sp closest to end, dc in next 2 dc's,

Row 4 - ch2, turn, dc in next 2dc, dc in ch sp, *ch2, skip next dc, dc in center of 3dc group, ch2, dc in ch sp closest to next 3dc group, dc in next 3 dcs and ch sp*, repeat to end, ch2, dc in ch sp, dc in next 3 dcs.

Row 5 - ch2, turn, dc in next 3 dcs and ch sp, *ch2, skip dc, dc in ch sp closest to 5dc group, dc in next 5 dcs and ch sp, * repeat to end, ch2, dc in ch sp closest to 4dc group, dc in next 4 dcs

Row 6 - ch2, turn, dc in next 3dcs, *ch2, dc in center of next ch sp, ch2, skip next dc, dc in next 5 dcs*, repeat to end, ch2, dc in center of next ch sp, ch2, skip next dc, dc in next 4 dcs

Row 7 - ch2, turn, dc in next 2dcs, *ch2, dc in ch sp closest to next single dc, dc in next dc, dc in ch sp closest to dc, ch2, skip next dc, dc in next 3dcs*, repeat to end, ch2, sk 1st dc, dc in last 3 dc

Row 8 - ch2, turn, dc in next dc, *ch2, dc in ch sp closest to 3dc group and in next 3dcs and next ch sp, ch2, dc in center dc of next 3dc group*, repeat to end, ch2, dc in ch sp closest to 3dc group and in next 3dcs and next ch sp, ch2, dc in last 2 dcs

Row 9 - ch4, turn, *dc in ch sp closest to 5dc group, dc in next 5 dcs and next ch sp, ch2, sk next dc* repeat to end, dc in last dc.

Repeat Rows 2 - 9 in sequence until piece is desired length.

The beautiful thing about following this pattern is that once the pattern is established - you just follow what's already there. It looks hard - but I promise - it's a very simple ghan to make.

You will have beautiful corners in which to work your edging of choice.
Copyright 2009~Michele Shirley~All rights reserved.
Items made from this pattern are not to be sold online.
Please contact me for commercial use of this pattern.

34 comments:

Agnes Smith said...

Wow! That is beautiful!
Agnes
http://agnesteaches.weebly.com/blog.html

karen said...

This is beautiful! Where can I find the instructions for the pearls and lace edging?

Anonymous said...

Beautiful afghan! I really love the edging with it - where can I find the instructions?

Michele Shirley said...

The edging I used was an Annie's Attic POD (free pattern of the day). It's called Pearls & Lace edging. I think it can be found at www.freepatterns.com .

Unknown said...

Was anyone able to find the Pearls and Lace edging? I've been all over, sent from page to page, and can't find it.

Michele Shirley said...

I just looked and I can't find it either. I don't know where it could be. Maybe they removed it or changed the name.

The Pearls & Lace Edging was around a picture frame if that helps any.

If I come across it I'll post a link but, for now, I can't find it either.

Sleec said...

What type of yarn did you use for this Afghan? It beautiful.

Michele Shirley said...

Thank you. I used Caron Pounders.

Catherine said...

I have seen this twice now,must mean I need to make it. What size hook do you recommend?

Michele Shirley said...

I use an I or J with 4 ply ww like Red Heart or Caron Pounders.

As long as the hook is appropriate for the size yarn that you're using - it'll be fine.

Unknown said...

After A LOT of research,lol, into the AA archives the pattern was in fact for a picture frame and published in a book called Blue Ribbon Crochet I found the book on Amazon and bought it. I don't know what to do to get it to you to post. Can you help me with that? Thank you.

Michele Shirley said...

While I appreciate the thought I cannot post a published pattern due to copyright laws.

It seems as if it's been removed from the AAPOD website. There's nothing I can do about that. It's unfortunate.

yayamary56 said...

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing :-)

Unknown said...

I do have the pattern but for the life of me I can't break it down to use on the afghan. Can you offer any suggestions? Thanks Michelle.

VicinCA said...

In the free pattern for red lace doilies, you can find the pearls and lace border. It's rows 14-18.
http://www.freepatterns.com/detail.html?code=FC00229&cat_id=308

LatinaBeauty said...

I want to thank you so much for sharing this beautiful pattern. I have made it for 3 of my sisters and they love it. I made a different border for each. Again thanks.

Michele Shirley said...

VincinCA - wonderful news! Thanx for sharing that information.

LatinaBeauty - How sweet! Thanx so much for letting me know. I'm sure they were gorgeous!

Cheryl DeMorrow said...

Shirley - this is beautiful. I was wondering if you could tell me how much I would need to increase the beginning to have it wider (say queen size)? Thanks so much for sharing.

Michele Shirley said...

I don't actually know how big a queen size ghan would be and then it would still depend on how much overhand you want on the sides of the bed.

I would chain 50 and work a row of dcs to see what your gauge is. Then you can figure out how many chains you'll need to start the ghan.

Cheryl DeMorrow said...

Thank you Michele. One more question - what size hook do you use?

Michele Shirley said...

I use a Bamboo handled Bates hook in J. I usually work with Caron Pounders or Red Heart and the hook is perfect for them.

Unknown said...

Michele - thanks so much for sharing this beautiful pattern. I was wondering how much yarn did you use?

Unknown said...

Can you tell me what type of yarn and hook size you used for this pattern? Thank you!

Unknown said...

How can I upsize it to fit a king bed? Thank you for sharing such a lovely pattern.
Johnsontammyw@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

I was wondering, if I used a thin cotton, would this be suitable as a sheet for sleeping on? I have been asked to do a bedding set as a gift for someone in the family. So no mass production or anything. And roughly how long did it take to do the large size? Thanks again for such a beautiful design.

Much Love from the UK
Sabrina

Unknown said...

What is the yarn & hook size, also the gauge? I love this afgan but I am confussed about the fore mentioned information. Thanks

Unknown said...

What is the yarn & hook size, also the gauge? I love this afgan but I am confussed about the fore mentioned information. Thanks

Unknown said...

Dont understand the multiples of 9 plus 6. Not sure how many chains that is

Unknown said...

Depending on the size you desire, you multiply 9 x ### and then add 6.

Make a sample chain of 9 sts using the hook/yarn size required.
Measure the sample length, divide the width desired by that number.
Multiply that number by 9 and add 6 to find the number of sts needed for the base chain.

Example: To determine # of base chain sts needed for a 48" wide afghan using Hook: J & #4 Worsted with multiples of 9 + 6.

9 sts = 3", 48" div by 3" = 16, 16 x 9 = 144 sts + 6 sts = 276 sts needed for base chain.

Hope this helps. It looks complicated but the 1st time you do this you'll find it's very easy.

Unknown said...

So sorry, there is an error in my post of 10/10/17 regarding how to calculate the number of stitches required for a given width of an Afghan. The formula is correct but the final total is glaringly wrong! Here is the corrected formula.


9 sts = 3", 48" div by 3" = 16, 16 x 9 = 144 sts + 6 sts = 150 sts needed for base chain.

Thank you, Cecile Ducharme, for your alert that something wasn't quite right with this. It's very much appreciated.

Antonette said...

Try googleing it!!!! That's what i was told once if i wanted to find anything!!!!! Good luck!!!!

Antonette said...

Iam looking for the comments on the crochet needle case i cant find it.

Sara G. said...

The edging is very similar to one I designed for a baptism blanket I made. I called it Butterfly Edging. Stitch adjustments for your project may be necessary to make the pattern fit your particular project. Here are the basic directions. Check YouTube for htr and fptr directions. Picture available on request if I can't figure out how to attach it to this comment.

1st Rnd: Right side facing, join w sc in any corner, sc in same st. SC around with 3sc in corners. Sc in last corner st, join

2nd Rnd: Ch 3, dc in same st, Dc in ea sc around, 3 dc in ea corner st. Dc in last corner, join.

3rd Rnd: Ch 3 (counts as sc, ch-2) Sc in same st (completes corner sequence). Sc in next 3 dc, ch 2 *sk 2, sc in next 4 dc, ch 2*. Repeat * to * to corner, adjusting so you end up ready to sc in next 4 dc and there are 3 sts left before the corner space. Sc in next 3 sts, (sc, ch 2, sc) in corner space. Go back to  work around to last corner, sc in the 3 st before corner, join to beg chain 3.

4th Rnd: Sl st, ch 5, 4 dc in corner ch-2 sp. 4 dc, ch 2, 4 dc in each ch-2 p around. 3 dc in same space as first dc. Join to 3rd ch of beg ch 5.

Rnd 5: Sl st, ch 5, 4 dc in first corner ch-2 space. * Half Treble Crochet Stitch (htr) in space between next 2 4-dc groups. 4 dc, ch 2, 4 dc in next ch-2 sp. Repeat from * around sides and corners. At end, htr in last sp between 4-dc groups, 3 dc in starting corner, join to beg ch 5.

Rnd 6: (Sl st, ch 3, 4 dc, ch 2, 5 dc) in ch-2 corner space. ♥* Front Post Treble Crochet (fptr) around the post of the htr. 4 dc, ch 2, 4 dc in ch 2 space. Repeat from * to next corner. (5 dc, ch 2, 5 dc) in corner ch-2 space. Repeat from ♥ 2 more times. Fptr in last htr post, join to beg ch 3.

Rnd 7: (Sl st, ch 1, sc) in next dc. Work Corner: [Ch 4, sk 2 , sc in dc BEFORE ch 2 sp. Ch 3, sc in ch 2 sp. Ch 3, sc in dc AFTER ch-2 sp, ch 4, sk 2, sc in next dc.] ♥*Sk next 3 sts, which are a dc, fptr, and the 1st dc in the next 4-dc group. ♥Sc in 2nd dc of the 4-dc group. Ch 3, sc in st BEFORE ch-2 sp. Ch 3, sc in ch-2 sp. Ch 3, sc in st AFTER ch-2 sp. Ch 3, skip 1 dc, sc in next dc*. Repeat to corner where you have a 5-dc group.
At corner, sk dc, fptr, and dc. Sc in next dc. Ch 4, sc in dc BEFORE ch-2 sp. Ch 3, sc in ch-2 sp, ch 3, sc in sp AFTER ch-2 sp, ch 4, sk 2, sc in next dc. Repeat from ♥ to ♥ twice more. Join w sl st. Finish off.

Unknown said...

Thank you!!!